Friday 12 October 2012

Module one campus session- Task 1b

So Tuesday was a great day....I attended my first campus session  and I now do not fear the reader thanks to Rosemary and all you other guys involved :). I had read through it so many times and had still not managed to digest everything I wanted! This session helped me have a better understanding of what was asked of us in task 1b and made me realise that it wasn't scary at all :)!

It was pretty evident that task 1b was on everyones 'worry list', so we decided it would be useful to take an article each and read them through individually. We took 20 minutes to make notes which we then read aloud to the group. I found this really helpful as this allowed us to explain the articles in are own way and discuss and express our opinions together. It then became more apparent to me what web 2.0 actually is!

Ways In Which Professional Communication Technologies Enhance Your Professional Practice

Web 2.0 is something us students use in their every day lives and studies. It is a platform which helps support and develop us as professionals by using social networking in both the work place and wider communities. 

Reich talks about how there has been a substantial decrease in costs due to recent communication technologies, which therefore results in bigger and better opportunities for the participants involved. Gone are the days when sharing a video took days and cost money. 2.0 shows how much more simplified things can be done and yes I too can vouch for this as I can honestly say it took minutes for me to share my 'BAPP Starting Out' clip and it cost virtually nothing! This I may add is coming from someone who is not very net 'savvy' at all! However, I do think i'm getting there, and it's all thanks to web 2.0!

We can all see that the internet and information available is constantly changing. 0'Reily shows the comparison between web 1.0 and how much it has developed over the years to create 2.0 sites. It is exciting because not only are we able to extract information, but we are now able to re-create and edit things ourselves in the form of social networking sites such as blogs, facebook and twitter. As Lorenzo states, the web is 'user generated' and 'not just created by experts- it is created and co-created by amateurs'. It is highly beneficial as we as professionals can not only use information from other peers in our industry, but also use it as a platform to help broadcast and educate people about ourselves.

I do think that web 2.0 is amazing technology and that without it we would pretty much be lost (I woudn't be writing on a blog right now)! However, I do not think traditional ways of learning and communication should be completely cast aside. We must not let the younger generations of today get completely lost in Cyberspace. It's true when Lee Taylor says, we very rarely see children 'playing out' these days (this makes me feel very old). It's scary to think people are being controlled by their obsession for the internet. We can't forget that sometimes things just happen to make more sense when you sit and talk to people about it face to face. This I feel was demonstrated to us all at the campus session. The reader was just words on a page at first to me and it wasn't until this discussion that I actually started to gain a more thorough understanding of everything. The words actually started to mean something to me!

We must also remember that not all content found on the web is always 100% true. Gruber focuses on the fact that we have both authorised semantic sites which contain valid information, as well as social networking sites which contain peoples thoughts and opinions....this may not necesseraliy be correct information so we need to careful! 'Mass authoring is not the same thing as mass authority. Particulary in the presence of spam and other fraudulent sources in the mix, simply collecting the contributions of the masses does not lead to new levels of intelligence' GRUBER (2007)

I agree with Hannah Stewart when she says 'It's all about moderation'. These technologies, as I mentioned before are a great platform for us but i don't think we should rely on them completely. I believe we can take the good and bad from all types of learning and communications to help us grow and develop as professionals :)!










3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog. You can tell you have a great understanding of web 2.0 and its nice to see you explore many aspects of it as well as relating it back to your own thoughts and opinions. I look forward to reading you views on the journals!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great summary of the ideas behind Web 2:0 in terms of this BAPP course. Thank you for sharing your campus session experience with the rest of the BAPP community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't attend the Campus session so thank-you for sharing about it in your blog.
    I totally agree with you on the need for balance and moderation (as in all things). By understanding and embracing Web 2.0 and what Lankshear calls "the second mindset" (2007) I feel that we are better disposed to connect with each other and have the opportunity to access more information/ knowledge and share ideas more easily (as I am doing right now!).
    As you say though it's still up to "us" to decide on the relevance or accuracy of what we read but Web 2.0 seems to be putting the power to choose what we discover/ discuss/ share back in the hands of the individual rather than the old Web 1.0 model that was more "this is what you need to know."

    ReplyDelete